Tuesday 15 May 2012

On Murray Gold and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales

I'm sure most people (if not everyone) knows that my favourite show is Doctor Who. For those who don't know what it's about it's about space and time travel across the universe in a blue box, that's bigger on the inside.

I'd normally be happy to go on endlessly, I do have a specific goal in mind though: the music. I'm a classical junkie, same applies to those movie soundtracks. This brings me to my attempt: I shall attempt to critique an album from the Doctor Who Series.

There are the Series's Albums avalable on iTunes; and each contains most of the music featured on that particular Series. The Album in question, is the first one I fell in love with. The Doctor Who - Series 3 (Original Television Soundtrack) contains 28 tracks, about an hour or so long.

The first track "All the Strange Strange Creatures (The Trailer Music)" effectively sums up that Series. Bombastic, expansive, firey and the lack of a better term, epic. I like how Gold uses all the segments of the orchestra.

The second track is titled "Martha's Theme". Martha Jones played by Freema Agyeman, is the Tenth Doctor's second compion. (the first being Rose Tyler) Martha's Theme is waltz-ey, and its overall mood fits Martha perfectly: somber, uplifting and empowering.

Aside from the first two tracks, the ones that really define the series, are found in the last three episdoes of the Series. The main track is the mildly creepy "The Master Vainglorious". The Master is the Doctor's nemesis; his archenemy. (one of them)

The Master Vainglorious plays heavily on his source of his insanity: the neverending drumbeat. Four taps; 1234, 1234, 1234, 1234. Throughout the track you hear the beat.

Another key track is "Martha Triumphant", after the Paradox Machine is destroyed (it was capable of maintaining the paradox of the Futurekind killing their ancestors: the human race), and the Master stopped; you hear it playing when Martha leaves the Doctor.

I'll have to stop here, it's getting to wibbly-wobbly, I don't want to blow a hole in 2/3rds of the known universe. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment