Sunday 5 February 2012

Evolution of...

      I've noticed somewhat recently that things have a sort of 'Darwinian' approach. This has been brought up in class a few times. Things are going to have to evolve or die out. So, I was thinking... Is our society too  geared on moving on?
I'm sure we've seen this scenario "[insert name here]'s MIRACULOUS COMEBACK!'. This star's miraculous comeback brings me to mind of an analogy. One must ride the wave of fame, or end up being swallowed up along with all the could have beens, the forgotton and the unchanged. Like the never ending waves, one must adapt to each minute current and ripple; or risk toppling off.
I suppose it is understandable that nothing can remain static forever; look at humanity's erratic history. Plagues, wars, diasters, weather anomalies, etc. In order to survive we must adapt to these changes in order to master wherever or whenever we are.
Personally I think that North American culture is too geared on moving. We are carouselling in an endless loop of media, pop culture, cars, sex, drugs and money. I've heard that we reap what we sow, and I believe that we are facing the consequences of rushing forward with little concern of our consequences.
How many times do we ask for a ride in place of walking or an alternative mode of transport? How many times do we leave or throw our garbage? How many resources do we gobble up for modern convienience?
[these questions are obviously generallized, and there are many execptions; only to make a point].

No comments:

Post a Comment